Emini and Forex Trading Update:
Monday May 10, 2021
Pre-Open market analysis of daily chart
- Friday broke above 4-week tight trading range, and closed near the high of the day and of the week.
- Bulls need follow-through buying today or tomorrow to confirm Friday’s breakout. If they get it, traders will look for 100-point measured move up, based on height of 4-week trading range.
- Bears want breakout to fail. They need a bear bar closing near its low today.
- Most days for past month have had at least one swing up and one swing down, so that is most likely today.
- However, since market is deciding between a breakout and a reversal, there is an increased chance of a trend day in either direction.
- Consecutive strong bull bars on Thursday and Friday make successful breakout more likely.
- If there is a series of strong trend bars in either direction in the 1st hour, traders will expect a trend day.
Overnight Emini Globex trading on 5-minute chart
- Up 1 point in the Globex session, so today might have a small gap up. But, small gaps typically close in the 1st hour.
- The 2-day rally has had 2 strong legs up. There should be at least a 3rd small leg up today. If there is, the trend will probably be weaker than the legs up on Thursday and Friday, since trends tend to weaken as they age. Traders become more interested in taking profits on rallies and waiting for pullbacks to buy.
- Friday’s tight trading range on the 5-minute chart is late in the 2-day bull trend. It is therefore a good candidate for a Final Bull Flag. If the rally resumes today, day traders will look for a sell signal, and a reversal back down into Friday’s tight trading range.
- 20% chance that today could sell off from the open, because Friday’s trading range had a double top. This could lead to a big bear day.
- Increased risk of at least one reversal today, because bulls will probably take profits on a rally for a Final Flag top, and bulls will buy a sharp selloff after a strong 2-day rally.
- If there is a series of strong trend bars in the 1st hour up or down, day traders will look for a trend day.
Friday’s Emini setups
EURUSD Forex market trading strategies
EURUSD Forex daily chart
- Strong rally for 6 weeks, but near top of 9-month trading range.
- Trading ranges resist breaking out, so there should be at least a 2-week swing down, before there is a strong break above the January 6 high at the top of the range.
- Last week had consecutive very big bull Surprise Bars. They were strong enough for traders to expect at least a small 2nd leg up after the 1st 1- to 3-day pullback.
- If there is a reversal down this week, it will be from a wedge rally to a double top with the February 25 high. The reversal would probably last a couple weeks and test the bottom of the most recent buy climax, which is the May 5 low.
Overnight EURUSD Forex trading on 5-minute chart
- Broke a little above last week’s high overnight, but the overnight range has also been small.
- Day traders have only been scalping.
- With last week’s rally being so strong, day traders are more interested in buying pullbacks than selling rallies. However, there was a 40-pip selloff overnight, and that is big enough for day traders to also look for shorts to scalp.
- These factors reduce the chance of a 3rd big bull day today: the overnight range has been small; the rally is stalling at the top of the wedge bull channel; and, Thursday and Friday were extreme big bull days, which will increase the chance of profit taking on rallies today.
- After such a strong 2-day rally, the EURUSD will probably need to go sideways for a couple days, before it can go down for a swing. Therefore, traders do not expect a strong bear trend day today.
- Day traders will continue to scalp today, unless there is a series of strong trend bars up or down, but that is unlikely.
Summary of today’s S&P Emini futures price action and what to expect tomorrow
End of day summary
- Trading range open.
- Wedge bottom led to rally to just below high of day.
- Reversal down from double top began with big Bear Surprise bar.
- Not clearly Always In Short until after about 5 consecutive closes below EMA.
- Late breakout to new low of day. Then, measured move down to below open of month, 60-minute EMA, and 4,200 Big Round Number.
- 13-bar bear micro channel was exhaustive sell climax, and bear trend evolved into trading range at end of day.
- Fell below 50% pullback of Thursday/Friday rally at the end of the day.
See the weekly update for a discussion of the price action on the weekly chart and for what to expect going into next week.
Traders can see the end of the day bar-by-bar price action report by signing up for free at BrooksPriceAction.com. I talk about the detailed S&P Emini futures price action real-time throughout the day in the BrooksPriceAction.com trading room. We offer a 2 day free trial.
Charts use Pacific Time
When I mention time, it is USA Pacific Time (the Emini day session opens at 6:30 am PT, and closes at 1:15 pm PT). You can read background information on the intraday market reports on the Market Update page.
Hi Al, Please mention something about when to exit a 2 lot position in a trending market. Is it best to scale out or all in all out? Is this discussed in the course? if so please let me know and I’ll access the video. Thanks, Ron
I do talk about that in the course. Some traders do not scale out of any position. Others scale out part once the trade reaches the 1st swing target.
Thanks Al, I am a member and have purchased the course some years ago. Are there specific videos that discuss managing exits?